Dr. Fan notes: Someone asked me which school is good in the field of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. Here is a online article which picked “top 10”. For what is best school, actually different people may have different criteria. From my personal perspective, the best one is that most fit you—fit your taste(most attract you), and affordable, also close to you. So, before choosing a school, you must conduct a research by yourself. And actually in Acupuncture and Chinese medicine, there are different academical schools (different in style), such as traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), five elements, etc., everyone may have something good in “taste”, it is difficult to say which is the best in one word.
Here is the article: http://www.thebestschools.org/blog/2012/09/11/10-acupuncture-schools-u-s/
Prospective students may begin their search with schools accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).http://www.acaom.org/find-a-school/default.aspx?state=All&dicipline=undefined&programtypes=
The Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine as well as the American Association of Oriental Medicine established ACAOM in 1982 as a not-for-profit organization. ACAOM is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a “specialized and professional” accrediting agency.
ACAOM has more than 60 schools and colleges with accreditation or candidacy status. All of the schools we selected for our list have received accreditation from the ACAOM.
Below is our ranking of the 10 best acupuncture schools in the United States. Factors that influenced our choice of schools making this list as well as their relative order include the following:
- quality of faculty not only as practitioners of acupuncture but also as researchers advancing the field;
- success in training students who can lead the field;
- having not merely a masters but also a doctoral program in acupuncture;
- comprehensiveness of the training program;
- how long the school has been in existence and its reputation for excellence during that time.
1. Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (Portland, OR)
2. Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (San Diego, CA)
3. New England School of Acupuncture (Watertown, MA)
4. Bastyr University (Kenmore, WA)
5. American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (San Francisco, CA)
6. Southwest Acupuncture College (Santa Fe, NM)
7. American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine (Houston, TX)
8. AOMA Graduate School of Integrative Medicine (Austin, TX)
9. New York College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (New York, NY)
10. Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (Oakland, CA)